Qualities and Best Uses of Granite StoneJuly 21, 2015
When it comes to internal decoration and most other home accents, stone comes second to wood in desirability and aesthetic beauty. One of the most popular stones of this era, if not nearly all eras since the dawn of history, is granite. Granite is a type of igneous rock considered to be ‘intrusive’ due to the fact of its commonality.
Granite is often distinguished by its decidedly grained appearance, featuring inclusions of various quartz, mica, feldspar, and amphibole minerals contrasted with darker inclusions of hornblende, biotite mica, iron or obsidian that make for a wonderfully aesthetically pleasing surface. Granite comes in many hues, but the most popular colours generally veer towards the darker shades such as dark grey, charcoal, and even black, although lighter colours of granite like pink and white are commonly used.
In some cases, stone slabs that are sold as black granite are not actually authentic granite, but other varieties of igneous rock like basalt or gabbro. Irrespective of the chosen hue, granite veers from between mid-priced to somewhat pricey, depending on the inclusions that are found in the stone, as well as the overall quality of a singular piece.
Most granite stones for interior design, such as those made for tables and countertops, are often made of a single slab of cut and polished granite that is custom-fit to client specifications.
Qualities of Granite and Its Respective Uses
One of the most telling qualities of granite is its heft and overall durability. In spite of its hardness however, it can be carved into any assortment of shape and is capable of taking on artistic details. Generally dense and quite heavy by nature, granite makes not only for perfect tabletops and countertops, the stone also makes for excellent flooring.
Aside from the standard fare of table or counter-tops, one of the best uses of granite stone is in flooring. Thanks to its highly resilient nature and extremely beautiful surface patterns, granite makes for an ideal flooring material for living rooms, bathrooms, or function rooms. It is also used in fireplaces and stick on dry granite walls. Beyond its employment for indoor home accent and décor, granite is also a perfect medium for walkways, patio flooring and around pools.
If you are looking for long-lasting flooring material that exudes a regal, old-world style, a material that can highlight your indoor furniture or outdoor benches and lounge chairs, then granite is definitely your best possible choice.
Contact AM Stone Masons
If you have any questions or enquiries please feel free to contact us on the following details provided below or alternatively you can complete our online enquiry form also located below and we will get back to you as soon as possible...
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Why Should Your Garden Have Stone Retaining Walls?
- Design Your Outdoor Space with Limestone Fire Pits
- Stone Feature Wall Fountain: Reasons Why You Should Have One
- Home Improvement Using Different Stone Types
- Mt. Angus Sandstone: What's So Special About The Quality Of This Sandstone?
- Stonemason Services in Geelong: We Can Only Offer The Best!
- Discover the Natural Beauty of Stone Fireplaces
- Retaining Walls Defined
- The Benefits of Using Sandstone Materials for Construction
- Limestone Houses and Its Advantages
- Qualities and Best Uses of Granite Stone
- Benefits and Uses of Sandstone
- Top 3 Reasons why you should have a Rubble Wall for your Garden
- Bluestone Pavers: Paving your Home for Quality, Design and Beauty
- Building Your Wall with Limestone… What are your Advantages?
- Why Should You Consider Using Stone Designs for Your Home?
- What stone types will suit your home building needs?
- Is granite stone good for a home foundation?
- Retaining Wall Builders in Victoria
- Building a Fireplace into an Existing Home
- Professional Stone Fireplace Builders in Victoria
- Reasons to Prefer Building With Stone